I've found that different Brooks saddles require different treatment to break
in.

My first Brooks was a B-17 flyer.  This was basically comfortable right out of
the box.  I initially and occasionally applied proofide and it was very
comfortable by ~200 miles.

My second Brooks is a B17 select that I got from fellow lister Will Ashe.  You
can check his previous posts about not being able to break it in despite a year
of riding and 1000 or more miles.  I can say that Will was not exaggerating.
This thing felt (and sounded) like a hard piece of wood.  I tried proofide plus
100 miles and found no improvement.  I decided to go nuclear and used the
Sheldon Brown neatsfoot oil method.  The saddle was immediately more
comfortable, but not saggy.  With 50 miles it was close to perfection.  I've
got maybe 700 miles on it since with no sagging.  The color was completely
changed, but this was definitely worth it.

Nate