Bill, it would be a stretch to say I want Rivendell to go more mainstream. If
that were the case I wouldn't even be here. But, embracing classic design,
materials & craftsmanship need not come at the expense of practicality or
functionality.
I could totally go either way with respect to disc brakes, but I do think they
might make sense for certain models, like the Hunq.. No need to go there, but
no real need to avoid it either.
One thing they've clung to though is 1" steer tubes and I am sorry, but there's
a reason why nobody uses them anymore. They bend much more easily then the now
standard 1 1/8".
I am a former bike shop employee from back in the day when 1" was all we had
and we would regularly see bent steerers not from some extreme use or running
into something; just from normal use over many years they would/could get a but
of a bow in them, especially longer ones. But, I've never seen this with a 1
1/8" steerer.
Just about any custom builder these days will build with 1 1/8" it's just
better, plain & simple. Additionally,  for a company like Rivendell thats
perpetually cash strapped; going to a 1 1/8" steerer could save them tons of
money! Instead of needing a different fork for every size of every model. They
could build one fork that could be used on a variety of models & sizes. And
replacing a fork, should it become necessary would be a breeze and less
expensive. No it's not quite so easy to raise and lower your stem, but honestly
once I get my stem height dialed in, I never change it anywayz!
As Patrick said these things are not what define a Rivendell to me anyway.
People don't stand around waxing about their bikes quill stem or caliper
brakes; nothing wrong with those, but they are not critical elements.