(Yes, unique can be good. But technically it can't be more unique, or too
unique;^)
Grammar aside, I agree the bike was worth the final selling price. The fact
that Jan Heine was the seller might have helped generate interest and could
have played into how people decided to bid, but even without that special
sauce, this bicycle, in auction-speak, is certainly "rare and good." Having
been in and out of the business of selling used goods for the last couple
of decades, certain objects have a presence, a quality that is apparent,
and seems to gain in this quality over time. Even though I mentioned my
Ritchey Logic as being a "similar" yellow, there is no comparison with the
lustrous finish on the Rivendell. Not to mention the lugs, the tubing, the
details, that headbadge, etc. Really quite the bargain at that price. I
think the buyer will probably feel that way more and more as time goes on,
and one or two of the underbidders may be kicking themselves a bit.  I'll
guess it would have gone higher if it were slightly smaller, say 57-60cm.

*For  comparison, here is another "rare and good" frame made of Reynolds
753 that sold on eBay two weeks later for $40 more than the Rivendell (and
it was a repaint, which technically should lower the value, though in this
case I suspect it contributed to a higher final price):*

*http://tinyurl.com/y7xqy2et* <http://tinyurl.com/y7xqy2et>