To set the stage, I'm happily stuck in a 7 speed / freewheel world,
understand how freewheels work, do all my own bicycle maintenance
etc...

I was riding my Atlantis yesterday and during one hard effort (it's
all relative) the freewheel skipped....chunk!  It's an old Suntour 7
speed freewheel that has probably given reliable service for decades.
I had this happen to another Suntour freewheel several years ago and
when it became too regular I replaced it.  Which lead to the
question...

With a skipping freewheel, how long do you let it go before replacing
the freewheel?

Thanks!

Angus

P.S.  As a point of trivial interest, with all other brands of
freewheels I have used I wear down the gear teeth first....