I'll agree with Mark that you can probably stop the "skipping" and
extend the life of of the freewheel with some solvent, followed by
some lubrication.  I've done this with both freewheels and freehubs
with varying degrees of success.

Seriously though...If this freewheel has indeed provided "reliable
service for decades" it is probably time to replace it.  Pawls,
bushings, bearings and races do wear out.  Cogs do too, although the
wear may not be readily apparent...

Chuck