on 2/1/10 2:51 AM, Angus at angusle...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> I was riding my Atlantis yesterday and during one hard effort (it's
> all relative) the freewheel skipped....chunk!  It's an old Suntour 7
> speed freewheel that has probably given reliable service for decades.
> I had this happen to another Suntour freewheel several years ago and
> when it became too regular I replaced it.  Which lead to the
> question...
>
> With a skipping freewheel, how long do you let it go before replacing
> the freewheel?

Just to confirm, you are saying that the pawls are slipping internally, not
that the chain is slipping on a given cog, right?

It depends a bit how the thing is slipping.  If there's a crunchy noise and
the pedals jump just a bit, I'm likely to let it go for a while. The more
pedal jump, the more dangerous, IMO.

The freewheel is either going to freeze up or let go entirely. The former
just means a little fixed gear work on the way home (though doing that with
the slack chain in a derailleur setup can be tricky). The latter usually
means body onto frame in one manner or the other.

I guess the short answer is "sooner rather than later..."

hope that helps,

- J

--
Jim Edgar