A hearty agree for this passage: " Ultralight gear is wimpy. It will fail,
and in circumstances less than ideal that pushed it beyond it’s frail
capacity. It must be babied to last. I carry expedition weight gear for
what gear I carry. It allows me to be confident and comfortable no matter
what"

Won't forget the experience on a long backpacking trip in NM during which
my pack bag and shoulder straps began to come apart under the load (despite
many miles over numerous outings in preparation). While not particularly
ultralight, materials were not up to the test which my earlier outings did
not present. The hacks necessary to keep it together and minimally
functional really took away from the focus of the trip.

Some things need to be heavy duty from the get go, just as you say. Saving
a few ounces can have an exceptional cost.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh