Andy from Pitt said, in agreement with DP:

Some things need to be heavy duty from the get go, just as you say. Saving
> a few ounces can have an exceptional cost.

I wholeheartedly agree that a few ounces of savings isn't really worth the
possibility of failure, and I simultaneously have experiences to suggest
that lightweight and quality are not always mutually exclusive when it
comes to gear. For example, my Porcelain Rocket Mr. Fusion seat pack holds
my tent and footprint (plus spare tube and a few other bits) without an
issue. The entire system weighs 450g versus over 900g for my Carradice
Super C saddlebag. I love both, and they both have their uses, to be sure,
but I'm much more likely to choose the PR seat pack for a trip given that
it has all the capacity I need. It's super sturdy and I barely notice it's
back there, even when fully loaded, so lightweight and rugged are found in
the same piece of gear. The downside, of course, is that it looks silly as
all get out!

Also, my good buddy Jay, former Riv employee, made me the frame bag
pictured in my above post. It has no zippers and is made from super tough
cordura. It's still light, holds a bunch of food, and I'd have to try very
hard to rip or destroy it in any way.

I don't want my comments to come across as contrarian, but I also find my
trips, which are generally more off-road than on, to be more fun when I'm
not overloaded and carrying stuff that's heavier than it needs to be. Some
things are just heavy, and that's that, like the spare 26x3" tube that I
lug around even though I'll likely never use it, but other stuff can safely
save a bit of weight without sacrificing functionality.

Bob K. in Baltimore
--
Bob
443 278 4265