On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 1:13:30 PM UTC-8, Leslie wrote:

> If you had an older Atlantis that was a 56 or under, ie, a 26"-wheeled
> bike, you could use the Paul Motolites and run it as a 650b (if I ever run
> across a cheap 56 Atlantis, I'd consider doing such).  I wouldn't try to
> run a 700c Atlantis as a 650b.
>
> (Realize, I have to caveat things everytime I open my mouth, but this is
> coming from a guy who converted his 700c Ram to 650b Hetres, and then for
> awhile borrowed the 700c wheels for the 650b Bomba w/ Motolites, just to
> see how it'd be, and it was fine...)

Well, I believe the original intent of converting a 700c Atlantis to 650b
is to get fatter and cushier tires. Tires with more of that new-fanged free
air, to paraphrase Grant. Therefore, converting a 26" Atlantis to 650b
doesn't make too much sense, especially with the selection of 26" tires we
have now (such as the Compass Naches Pass
<https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/26-inch/compass-26-x-1-8-naches-pass/>).

Having stated that, I know that Ron Lau had converted his Joe Stark
26"-wheeled Rivendell to 650b
<http://cyclofiend.com/cc/2005/cc006-ronlau0505.html>, and reported good
results. Apparently, new brake arms with longer adjustment slots were
enough to execute this change.