Joe,
the dinglespeed Cheviot sounds terrific and happy to see you are
reconsidering trying singlespeeding even with a big hill to climb.  I have
to keep fighting the urge to give this kind treatment to my Clem H since
it's currently my only derailer equipped multispeed bike and I honestly
don't even get enough riding in to justify my multiple bikes at the moment.