Jan’s opinions about visibility make about as much sense to me as Grant’s
notions about diet. Some nuggets of wisdom in both cases, with extreme
conclusions drawn that I disagree with in the end. Jan dismissed reflective
tire sidewalls as ineffective out of hand and thinks a single red dot, which
gives other road users no depth perception whatsoever, is preferable to
additional reflective surfaces. He mentions the very real effect of target
fixation on bicycles and police cars, without calling the strobing lights into
question in both cases.

I feel very strongly that using flashing lights on bicycles after dark is a
really really bad idea. A bllinding, strobing dot in the distance dazzles other
drivers and cyclists, gives no depth perception, and makes it harder to see
anything other than the flashing light itself. A solid rear light that
illuminates a larger area like the Toplight Line Plus, etc, coupled with
reflective leg bands, vest/harness, reflective tire sidewalls and/or reflective
tape on the fenders, gives other road users a steady image which conveys the
size and distance to the bike and rider they are passing or overtaking without
dazzling them with a strobing light show.

Daniel M
Berkeley, CA