Daniel:

I’m not sure I agree that flashing lights are such a bad idea, but I *do* agree
that the super-bright lights that the cycling industry has been rolling out in
recent years can be a hazard. However, in my experience, it’s not a distant,
super-bright taillight that causes problems, but the light on the bike right in
front of you. Some of these lights are so bright that the limit the following
rider’s view to nothing but a red haze. (Note: Don’t try to tell these riders
that their lights are too bright—convinced that brighter is better and
brightest is best, they invariably react badly to my suggestion that they’re
causing problems from anyone behind them.)

I agree generally with Jan that super-bright rear lights aren’t necessary. As I
asked a friend on a recent ride, “Do you really need to be visible to a car
that’s five miles behind you?” My hope is that there will be a moderation in
coming years as riders go back to slightly less bright lights with longer run
times. I don’t agree that reflective gear is bad.

One hopeful step in the illumination arms race is Portland Design Works’ new
“Daybot” taillight, which offers a choice of daytime (100 lumens) and nighttime
(20 lumens) brightness levels. The latter is adequately visible, but in a
follower-friendly way. Their “Fenderbot” is also notable for being bright
enough without being too bright. As a randonneur who occasionally rides through
the night, I appreciate the long run times offered by slightly less bright
lights, since a taillight that has run out of batteries doesn’t do a bit of
good.

Regarding the Toplight—I have one, and it’s great, but from even a short
distance it’s going to look pretty much like a smaller light. Depth perception
is hard to gauge when you have just one point of light. The best solution would
be two taillights even a short distance apart, but that’s hard to do on most
bikes.

FWIW, Lee Mitchell, a famed sag driver here in Northern California who spent
thousands of hours over many decades following cyclists in the dark, once said
in an online discussion of this topic that the most valuable piece of nighttime
gear in his opinion is reflective ankle bands. Their motion attracts attention
and helps identify you as a bicycle.

--Eric Norris
campyonly...@me.com
@CampyOnlyguy (Twitter/Instagram)