With spikes the Grip Kings, are my favorite pedal. Something about the
shape/size really works for me – they just seem to transfer the power to my
drivetrain better than any other flat pedal I've tried.  The Grip Kings are
what finally convinced me to switch to flat pedals after nearly a decade of
riding SPD everywhere.

That said, they *really* should come with spikes, if not installed then at
least in with the packaging. Unless you only ride on smooth trails in dry
weather with grippy shoes, the spikeless pedals are just too slippery. With
spikes, they work great even on trails in the rain wearing wood-soled shoes
(yes I've done that).

If you don't feel like getting mildly involved with a drill, choose a pedal
that comes with spikes out of the box. Otherwise, Grip Kings!

Best,
William