Ian, a few caviate emptors and ymmvs regarding me and fixed. As near as I can
tell very few ride fixed mountain biking and almost nobody is riding fixed
bikepacking (which I will be, as soon as I can get the Hunqapillar shifted to
fixed. Still puzzling that one out). Also, I’m weird. A lot of that weirdness
made the transition to fixed simple and easy and a huge step forward without
any bumps typical to the accounts I read online. I floor live, which, among
other things gives me a very strong core and flexable hips (essential for
stand/squatting while pedaling). I have contstant neurological vertigo as part
of my bludgeoned brain — I can only ride a bike because I wear as close to no
footwear as I can get away with (aka minimalist), and my proprioceptive system
is free to know where I am in space though my brain hasn’t a clue (I suspect
this made the transition to fixed much easier).

Is fixed brilliant? Yes. It also requires an adjustment willfully entered into
(riding exclusively fixed eliminates the “noise” of switching back and forth —
though certainly not essential). It also requires adjusting one’s expectations
for downhill speed (less) and effort (more), best entered into by discovering
the view during the downhill as opposed to the watery-eyed tunnel vision. Grin.
No free miles.

Dive in! Eyes open! Be delighted! No matter what, you’ll learn, a lot. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick