My only concern for myself regarding trying fixed is hurting my knees by always
trying to pedal too hard. Hilly where I live. I see it is even hillier where
Patric lives.  So how do you pedal up those long, tough hills without shooting
meniscus out the sides, especially at our middle age?

I have been learning to relax the legs while climbing in a very slow cadence to
avoid mashing too hard. This seems to work for anything under 4%. But there
comes a point where I will have to unhealthily mash or LCG. So this keeps me
from buying a single speed bike. But I would love a single speed bike to have
the mental relaxation of never shifting gears.