I can answer for myself: First, I started riding fixed relatively young --
42, IIRC -- when my knees were strong, and perhaps got them used to it; and
I gradually learned to stand for longish periods, which puts less strain on
your knees. Also, I rarely ride longer than 30 miles at once.

In short, you can adapt to standing for long periods.

Further, if you don't do this already, learn to shove back way behind the
bb, so that you are pushing the pedal over TDC, to some extent. Lastly, you
can also "scrape" the pedal at BDC, and pull up (this requires cleats of
some sort to be easy, IME) for a bit of extra torque.

I find longish, gradual hills among the most enjoyable of terrains; 68" to
76" gears with current bikes. Heck, I climb that way on my derailleur
bikes, too, though perhaps a tooth or so lower.

Patrick Moore, whose near-63-year-old knees seem to be fine, Deo gratias.