I can generate a lot of additional power by pulling back and up; and in
those instances were I've pulled my foot out of shoe, or shoe out of pedal
retention, I've more than a few times come close to falling over. I very
definitely feel and use the additional torque generated in this way.

But even at cruising speeds, on flats, I routinely accelerate, or power up
inclines, by doing the same; and yes, there is a noticeable effect.

Foot retention appeared very early in the history of bicycles, and people
have used it and insisted on using it ever since. There are reasons for
this, even if this reason doesn't apply to every rider. Rather like drop
bars: they've been around for so long for good reasons.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Deacon Patrick <lamontg...@mac.com> wrote:

> Lee, yes. Our eating table is 16” high or so. I just sit on thin cusions
> on a tile floor. My desk is a kneeling desk, roughly the same height.
>
> Eric, I understand. But it sure seems overstated that pedal retention is
> required to ride safely or well. As a rider preferance, makes perfect sense
> either way. Are Phil and I the only ones riding fixed and platforms?
> Minorty of a minor minorty of a minor minority. Grin.
>
> Patrick of the Moore, I’m not sure how you can answer this, but I’m
> curious how much are you able to actually lift/power on the upstroke? I
> presume that is mainly at low RPM, where you can feel pedal drag behind
> your foot pulling up, as opposed to faster RPMs where you foot is more
> likely just carrying it’s own weight (at least that’s what the studies I’ve
> seen show, I think Grant pointed to the somewhere?). In my own experience I
> do better powering the down stroke. When I’m on something too steep to do
> that, I’m faster walking anyway. Grin.
>
> With abandon,
> Patrick

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique