On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 06:40:12 UTC+11, Tim Gavin wrote:

> I agree, Jim.  Totally valid but a "pro tip".
>
> It also depends on the rear derailleur; some MTB RDs have enough chain
> takeup for a very long chain.
>
> On my Riv ('97 Road Standard), I have a 52/42/30 road triple and an 11-34
> cassette.  The Shimano RD-M772-SGS (long cage) can handle enough chain for
> the Sheldon-recommended big-big+2 method, without sagging on small-small.
> Not that I'll ever use either cross-chain combination on purpose, but on a
> long day of touring my brain gets fuzzy.

Yeah, if you ride for long enough and far enough, sooner or later you'll
make a mistake about which chainring you're using. Happened to me on Mt
Ousley towards the end of long and hard ride - I was thinking that I most
be really stuffed because the climb was much harder than I remembered.
Wasn't until I was almost at the top that I realised that I wasn't on the
small chainring...