Hello - I'm a new member to the group, and I'm in the process of
ordering an A. Homer Hilsen frame from Rivendell. I've been given the
option of both the 650B frame (56cm) and the 700c frame (55cm).  After
conducting as much research as I can online and talking with my bike
knowledgeable friends, I'm still finding the decision to be
difficult.  I'm not sure how much information I should give here, but
I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about my dilemma.

My AHH will be primarily a commuter bike, but will also serve me on
longer weekend rides and perhaps some light touring in the future.
What I like about this bike is its ability to tackle a wider range of
conditions - road and off-road (nothing gnarly,  mind you) - and it is
just a beautiful looking bike!  In my adult life, I've only ever known
my current ride - a Rocky Mountain Fusion mountain bike from the
mid-90s.  I'm looking forward to riding a bike much more suited to my
style of riding.  The Fusion makes me work pretty hard and it's h-e-a-
v-y!

Availability of the 650B wheels is my biggest issue.  I have only
found two stores locally that can help me out with this (they don't
have anything in stock but would have to order), though I've not
conducted an exhaustive search.  Talking with the folks at the local
stores was quite illuminating.  The first kept telling me that the
tire was a new fad - something for the folks who want to be
different.  The second had no idea what I was talking about.  I'm not
all that mechanically inclined, so I depend on my LBS (to my chagrin)
- though I hope to change this in the future and become more adept at
working on my bike.

I'm leaning heavily toward the 650B because of the many things I've
read about it on sites like 650B Palace (http://
650bpalace.blogspot.com/) and La Confrérie des 650 (http://www.cyclos-
cyclotes.org/650/index_ang.html).  Even the Country Bike Shop (http://
www.countrybikeshop.com/) makes me feel the 650B is the choice I
should make.  But still a lingering doubt remains.  I can't imagine
I'll regret my decision, but I worry that I might.

While I have you - the second part of this question might be what
width should I get?  And what brands/models do you recommend?  I know
much of this is subjective, but I'd be happy to read your thoughts.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Zaelia