On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 20:51 -0800, Zaelia wrote:

> Availability of the 650B wheels is my biggest issue.  I have only
> found two stores locally that can help me out with this (they don't
> have anything in stock but would have to order), though I've not
> conducted an exhaustive search.  Talking with the folks at the local
> stores was quite illuminating.  The first kept telling me that the
> tire was a new fad - something for the folks who want to be
> different.

A tire size that's almost 100 years old as a "new fad" -- that's cute.

>   The second had no idea what I was talking about.  I'm not
> all that mechanically inclined, so I depend on my LBS (to my chagrin)
> - though I hope to change this in the future and become more adept at
> working on my bike.

I'm reminded of the time I went to my LBS, listed on the Phil Wood web
site as a stocking dealer, and asked about a Phil bottom bracket.  The
kid behind the counter told me they'd "gone out of business years ago,
they don't make anything like that [i.e., a square taper bottom bracket]
any more."  I wrote to the Phil Wood company, and they called the LBS...

Local bike shops are full of the clueless.

That said, it's true you won't find many bike shops stocking 650B tires
and rims.  Of course, you won't find many LBSs stocking rims of any
size, and my LBS in the 700x23C size sells only the Specialized
Armadillo.  That hardly means the Armadillo is the only 23mm tire out
there.