From: JoelMatthews <joelmatth...@mac.com>
To: RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Mon, February 8, 2010 9:36:30 AM
Subject: [RBW] Re: Choosing between a 650B and 700c frame

> The first kept telling me that the tire was a new fad - something for the
> folks who want to be
> different.  The second had no idea what I was talking about.  I'm not
> all that mechanically inclined, so I depend on my LBS (to my chagrin)
> - though I hope to change this in the future and become more adept at
> working on my bike.

650B is not new, rather it is a once well known size that has come
back.  The advantage of the 650B size is it allows a larger tire
without radically changing the bike design to prevent the bike from
being too high.

Case in point, I put Big Apple 700x60s on a bike roughly the size of a
59 Hilsen.  Big Apples are wonderfully compliant and handling was
fine.  On the other hand, I had to lean the bike way over to get on
and off.  I did not like the noticeably higher distance I was from the
ground while riding.

If you intend to use wider tires - and there are several wonderful 40
and above 650b choices out there online if not in the LBS - you should
seriously consider the 650b.  If you don't think you will ever go
above 35 or so, 700 may make sense.