Thanks John... That is good to know about the older 60cm Sam versus the
newer (58cm) version.  Over the last few months I saw a 60cm Sam for sale
and wondered if that was the way to go.  I dug up the old geometry charts
and decided to just wait, thinking it might be just what you experienced.
 Though I have broken the rule at least once, it seems more important on
the Riv's to take into account whether the frame was designed with drops or
upright bars in mind.  I think I came to the somewhat vague conclusion the
60cm was tilted more to upright/swept bars and I think your description
confirms that.

And I absolutely agree on finding the right fit.  I seem to have become
more particular (or maybe just cranky and finicky) on fit but it occurred
to me while I was browsing different frames and bikes that the Rivendell's
fit and feel better to me than any other bike I have ever ridden, and that
covers more than a few bikes.

And congratulations on finding your bike!  It sounds perfect in both fit,
function and fun.  I always say that when you are near or walk by your bike
it should call to you, that you should want to go ride right then!  Sounds
like your bike is exactly that bike...

Bob