Haha, Justin, love it!

Really, thank you all for chiming in. I like that the opinions are weighted
towards simplicity... so I think I will keep my 2 x 8 speed for a while.

Joe: Exactly what I was thinking when wondering whether to go STI or not. I
used to have Dura Ace 7800 on another bike.
Bill: Yes of course, I am under no illusion that only training is going to
make me faster - and I think it's there in my post, that I am constantly
doing workouts / strength building.
A Nostuh: True, I love the 7 speed on my Sam very much.
Deacon, I rode nothing but a fixed gear bike (42 x 17) for about 2 years,
some 10 years ago. I like it, but I think I prefer having gears nowadays,
it just allows for more variation during a ride and I like that it is more
forgiving, especially riding in unforgiving situations (Singapore roads)
and alot of the time in heavy rain. I'm still unclear whether it is better
to push tall gears, something I've often done, or train to spin at a higher
cadence.