On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 4:27:06 PM UTC-6, John G. wrote:

> 1. The tracking feels wobbly, as if the bike has to work reaaaaaally hard
> to hold a straight line. It's much more noticeable when I ride one-handed.
> 2. This one is harder to explain, but a bit scarier: on long, gently
> curving descents, the front end has a tendency to dip suddenly when I go
> into the curve. There's then a feeling that the bike rights tries to right
> itself, and it wobbles a bit more.

That sounds very much like my Cheviot, which turned out to have a fork that
was off in a couple of directions. My suggestion for "eyeballing" it (my
fork was off enough that it was visible) is:
1. Sight with one eye down the front of the head tube and, perpendicular to
that axis, line up the front "shoulders" of the fork crown with the fronts
of the fork ends. They should line up nicely. If one is well forward of the
other it will be clear.
2. Pull the handlebar stem out of the steerer and sight down the inside of
the steerer. (If you have a fender installed, that needs to come out, too.)
The center of the tire should be right down the center of the steerer. If
the forks are pushed to one side, it will be clear. To be more accurate,
you can remove the tire and tube from the wheel.

Of course, you should also check the dish of the front wheel and, as noted,
make sure the headset is installed correctly.