Bill, I'm sure you'd return the money if you knew that it came from someone
who lost everything:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/22/world/la-fg-japan-returned-money-20110923

This reminds me of the scores of unlocked bikes I saw in Tokyo--even the
locked bikes I remember were not locked to anything.  They might have a
cable lock through the frame and front tire, but not secured.

Toshi