On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery
<thill....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Rohloff is much easier to use, from a wheel removal/replacement
> standpoint, than the Nexus/Alfine.
>
> In my experience, the Alfine/Nexus remove/replace process was not that
> complicated, as Seth points out. Where I got frustrated was trying to
> get the cable positioned correctly in a tight space with my clumsy
> bratwurst-like fingers, while making sure the chain was tight, etc.
> And that was in a shop repair stand with all my tools and good
> lighting. I might tolerate that if I saw some real advantage to using
> the IGH, but since I don't see any advantages, my tolerance for the
> extra hassle is pretty low.
>
> Much easier to drop the chain to the small cog, open the q/r, and drop
> the wheel out... What was wrong with derailleurs again?

Now, let me make sure I'm clear: I don't have a problem with
deraillers. Nor do I have a predilection toward igh. I just said I
hadn't had a bad time taking the rear wheel off to change it out .

I'm not arguing with your other points about the durability of the
shimano ighs in bad weather or rougher conditions..

I was just explaining what I had seen about taking the rear wheel off.

-sv
4 bikes in the house and 1 of them is igh..