Hi Reid,

I am a resident of one of the numerous suburbs around Los Angeles
(Claremont).  Assuming you are staying near the Pasadena area and you want
to ride 'trails' (meaning dirt), you will likely want to bring a geared
bike.  This assumes you want to do a lot the trails just north of Pasadena,
within a VERY easy ride from the Huntington Library.  All you have to do is
look due North and go up!  Once you reach the dirt trails they do go
vertical quite quickly and stay that way until you get to the top.  Good
brakes are a good thing too when you come down.

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8017025/pasadena

Some points to consider:

   - Even though you are really, really close to 'civilization' a short
   ride up into the mountains will mean you are pretty much on your own.  Any
   accident and it could be a helicopter ride out.  The terrain is quite steep
   (that is why it is so hard to put the brush fires out).
   - It is getting warmer here in SoCal.  Might be a good idea to bring a
   hydration pack, first aid kit, mobile phone and lights.  You never know
   (see above bullet point).
   - We were up at the top of Mount Wilson last year on a bikepacking
   trip.  At the top are numerous microwave towers and (I think) cell phone
   towers.  I had ZERO cell phone signal.  Go figure.
   - Tell someone where you are going and when you plan on being back.  If
   you aren't back at the appointed time, have your person call for help and
   possibly summon rescue.  Again, it is so close to civilization but it is
   the real deal.  Water is scarce and you could be in a world of hurt,
   especially if by yourself.

Sorry to sound so negative but I'd rather be blunt and clear about the
mountains that are so close to Pasadena.

++++++

IF you are sticking to sealed (aka paved) roads, then I think you can
easily navigate them with a singlespeed.  Most of the paved roads are
engineered so hills should not be a huge issue.

Have fun!

Jeff