Thanks everyone for all the advice! What can I say, this is a great corner of
the internet to frequent. No one even got into an argument about gear inches.

A lot of food for thought here; I’m wondering if the third path might just be
to put gears back on the BMC? Will I feel the need for tires wider than 43mm
gravelkings in whatever mix of LA National Forest/Pasadena commuting I find
myself in? I should add that this trip will be a dry run for some UK travel
later this summer (one of the few benefits of graduate school). I’m hoping to
hit the Sweet spot between versatility, fun, and “not going to be utterly and
entirely heartbroken if the bike is stolen” factor.