OP here.  Let me try to summarize what I am learning.  My current practice
is to remove the chain when dirty, soak it in mineral spirits in a used 1
qt yogurt container.  After a few minutes I swish it around, take it out,
and then, depending on how energetic I feel, either take a brush to it or
wipe it down, then put it in a second yogurt container and repeat the
process.  Take it out, wipe it down, reinstall it, lube it, wipe it down
lots more.

What I'm reading I should do is buy an ultrasound machine & two pots,  then
clean it much the same as I have been, except adding a third cycle with
mineral oil. (How to clean the ultrasound pots is yet to be learned). Buy
an inexpensive crock pot and waxing supplies.  Boil them up, wax the chain,
let it cool, install and ride away.

Presumably this process wont have to be done nearly as often and I wont
have chain tattoos on my leg.   I would like that but I would groan
whenever it needed redoing.

If I were young enough to justify buying a new bike, it would be titanium
with a Rohloff hub and a Gates drive belt!

Michael