Michael: perhaps the difference is how free of grit chain is. I stopped
using "oily" lube long ago, replacing it with paraffin, Pro Link, Purple
Extreme, and the Orange Seal lube. These aren't nearly as clean as Molten
Speed Wax (stupid name, great product), but they don't attract grit, and
that seems to be the difference between balky masterlinks and easy finger
removal. At any rate, I used 8 and 9 speed SRAMs for years and had not
problem removing the links by hand.

Again, hand-release for SRAM links applies to 9 speed and earlier; 10 speed
very definitely requires those special pliers.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 1:57 PM, Michael Hechmer <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have never, ever been able to remove a Sram quick link by hand. In fact
> I can hardly open them with pliers. I have never failed to open a connex
> quick link by hand. So far I'm getting mixed reviews 0n the KMC, ranging
> from the RBW "best ever" to the LBS, "somewhere between Sram & Connex."
>  Will a connex quick link work in a KMC chain?  I don't know.  Meanwhile
> Wipperman appears to be phasing out my long time favorite $40 908 chain and
> replacing it with a $70 stainless version.  They still have both on their
> web site but retailers are no longer listing the 908  and most appear to
> have a single 9SX in stock.
>
> Michael
>
> On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 10:40:25 AM UTC-4, Patrick Moore wrote:
>>
>> I've had very few problems removing SRAM masterlinks for 9 speed chains
>> by hand; KMCs were a bit more finicky. I was surprised to find that I
>> needed the pliers-like took for the 10 speed SRAM masterlinks, but I was
>> told that SRAM deliberately changed the design with the 10 speed chains to
>> make them harder to remove.
>>
>> The only problems I've had with the earlier-than-10-speed SRAM links was
>> grit; flushing with, say, WD-40 solved the problem.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 4:08 AM, Garth <gart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I have used Sram chains for a long time and the quick link always worked
>>> as intended by hand. I just started using KMC chains and their quick link
>>> seems to also work just fine by hand. What a coincidence ! Wipe any lube
>>> off the area if present, squeeze tbe quick link and push inwards, and it'll
>>> open as intended.
>>
>> --

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique