I have resisted wading into this morass thus far but can no longer do so.

Patrick:  If 1. Tolerance for gender identities which don't match your own,
                 2. Supporting women's rights to choose what happens to
their own bodies, &
                 3. Social programs for those less fortunate than we
...are controversial, I submit that your (possibly religious) world-view is
seriously out of whack.  When being kind to others, respecting the
self-determination of others to decide their own identity, and helping
those in need are "controversial" you have strayed so far from Jesus'
teaching that I wonder if you can claim to be a christian any longer.

Grant was correct - there is not much controversial in his post - he has
opinions (which not all have to agree with) but your retort was so loaded
with IN-tolerance for being kind to and respecting others that it offended
me deeply.

Is this your religious view speaking?  If so I urge you to seriously
examine your view of the world as it fits into the tenets of your faith.
If not, please illuminate me.