Actually, a threaded headset's adjustment is quite easy to understand.  It's obvious, really: there are nuts that are clearly meant to be tightened or loosened.  Threadless is another story: there's no visible means of support, other than maybe mash down hard on the stem and then clamp it down, but that hardly seems to make any sense, and if that was how it was supposed to work it couldn't possibly be very accurate.

But my point is simply that for all the talk about how simple it is, I've yet to find anybody on a ride who knew how to adjust one even though they all had them and they all had the tools.  (And no, I have no idea how to do it.  I can do a fair job with a threaded headset, though.)

And I should add, the only bike I ever had that had an issue with the threaded headset loosening turned out to be a problem with the washers not being thick enough.  Once that was fixed, no further problems.  Of course I don't ride MTB.