aside from whatever real or imagined benefits there are to riders, the
benefits of carbon and threadless to manufacturers are real and as concrete
as concrete. Threadless forks eliminate a HUGE ongoing hassle and storage
problem of stocking replacements for different sized frames. The fact that
it helps manufacturers is a GOOD thing, but *that* is why they were so
wholly instantly adopted. Going to carbon fiber piggybacked on that by
offering a perceived cool-factor fork that flaunted its material and saved
bike manufacturers from having to stock color-matches for their bikes every
year. A third benefit to manufacturers is that forks are a PITA to make.
There isn't a frame builder in the world who likes making forks (I have not
surveyed them all, I've just never heard of one, and the fact that so many
offer carbon forks as standard supports this "theory.")  Forks are
difficult and intolerant of even slight goofs. If a frame is slightly out
of alignment, you'll never know by casual observation (need measuring
tools) and it probably won't matter in the ride. (Our frames are aligned
during the process of building and checked at the end, and I've watched
them do it.)  It depends where it's out of alignment, but if you think most
of the bikes in the world are perfectly aligned, o my.   But when a fork is
out of alignment, it's way more visually obvious, because the tire gap is
different.
Any one of the points I'm trying to make--I'm making them quickly and
without any nuance or noting other important details in the discussion--but
they're honestly fundamentally true. Our Taiwan frame builders farm out the
forks. Artisinal custom builders for the most part prefer to (I know there
are exceptions).
It's easy-er for me here at RIvendell with our relatively low volume to
stock crash replacement forks forks, but even when we order two extra per
size per color, as models and colors change, it doesn't take too many years
to accumulate 200 forks. At Bstone, we had --- thousands? At least a
thousand. We tossed them when we closed. I think one of the guys gathered
up some MB forks and maybe a few RBs, but basically, they were vamooshed.
There's no market for a Regulus brown fork for a 23-inch frame, or any of
the others.

I'm not picking on masmojo. He (or she?) is right--that stuff can work
fine. It's when it doesn't that things get scary, and when you consider
that carbon doesn't age well, there's still a good reason to avoid it.