Joe,

I have a Calfee and rode it exclusively for about 20 years with no
problems. It came with a kestrel carbon fork which has a steel steerer
tube. Not light, but really strong. As you know, I'm not a lightweight, so
I've had no problems with the Calfee over those years. Just recently picked
up a used Trek Madone 700 and the carbon is super thin compared to the
Calfee. Don't know if this is going to last 20 years, but so far, it rides
great, especially with the Sram etap ;)

But really the leaders in carbon today can be found in some American
builders like Calfee, Crumpton, Parlee, Appleman, and a few others.  But
those are expensive as a frame starts at around $3000 and can easily go
over $5000.  For mass production, Taiwan is the leader and Giant is
arguably the best. They basically build frames for just about everyone you
can think of.  One guy in our group just bought a fancy Canyon bike with
ultegra di2 and disc brakes. Very nice, but that frame is build by Giant.
It is solid, yet light (16+lb range).  The complete bike is like $4000.

Around the SF Bay Area, if you look at all the big group rides, I would say
90-95%+ are on carbon. Of course, nobody has saddle bags, racks, fenders or
anything like that and the most mileage is probably 80 or less on each
ride.  Then you see the Randonneur guys and they all seem to be on steel
with racks and bags. Those guys do lots of miles and some are really fast

But carbon isn't for everyone. For those who are paranoid, I say stay far
away from it! My latest bike will be a used Della Santa I just picked up.
It is made of Dedacciai (sp?) zero steel tubing and feels really light.
With some lightweight Campy parts (yes carbon), it should build up to a
nice 18+ lb. bike. I'm expecting a fun ride!

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!