Collin, no matter what you end up deciding, you owe it to yourself to start
with the widest Compas tires that fit (Switchback Hill for 650b), as Compass is
the benchmark for plush and smooth and fast ride. If you end up needing more
flat protection due to thorns, try adding Orange sealant to your tubes. If you
get flats from glass regularly, you may need different tires, but experience on
that seems to vary here. As you then try different tires, you will have a solid
benchmark of comfort and speed against which to compare them.

I’ve ridden the Barlow Pass (700 x 38, road), Snoqualmie (700 x 44 road), and
Steilacoom (700 x 38 knobbie) on all kinds of terrain and the road tires woudl
easily handle what you describe. Their only terrain downside is
rutted/technical loose stuff and snow/mud, and the knobbie handles those with
exellence. I ride 1/3 paved, 1/3 dirt, 1/3 trail, including a fair bit of more
technical.

WIth abandon,
Patrick