I don't think the biggest issue is how it will shift.  After all
triple fronts are designed for a 22 tooth difference.  Rather the
shifting pattern gets very awkward when you go from 14 to 16.  At 14
the next gear is typically two cogs away.  At 16 your in no mans land,
and at 18 and above the next gear is at the other end of the
cassette.  I really like a 48/34 and could probably get along with a
44/30, but I think for rings below that I would prefer to have the
triple to widen the range without having to work so hard finding the
next gear.

Michael