Yup, I pretty much ride mine as a 1x9 until the hills come. I'm running
44-30 and 12-27. I do spin out on bigger hills and occasionally wish for
something a bit easier for extreme grades. Maybe I should give 44-28 a shot
with one of SRAM's 11-28 cassettes.

The other thing that makes this setup work well is having a big ring that is
positioned to let you use almost all of your gears. For me, 135 rear spacing
and using the inner two rings of a Sugino XD triple with a 113 bb makes for
a great chainline.

Dustin