Let us all know 'bout that triple if you find it.  The only one I know that
narrow (in 110bcd/square taper) is the late-great TA Zephyr.

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Avast, heretic! This be week two (to be precise: this is the 8th day of
> receipt) and I've put 85 miles on it -- not a lot, but work has been busy.
>
> I hope to swap out the egregiously wide 160 mm Sugino for a more modestly
> endowed 150 or so (one hopes) Q'd 110 triple. As for the 13, I'd rather
> coast. Hell, after five or so years of almost exclusively fixed gear riding,
> coasting feels, well, decadent, somehow.
>
> And, I just ordered VO's discounted 45 mm alum fenders, a
> stem-clamp-bolt-mount decaleur for the Ostrich and a VO non-Pletscher 2-leg
> stand. Ordinarily I frown on kickstands, but the SH has a kickstand plate
> that, metaphysically, demands a stand to bolt to it. The Greenfield is worth
> f-all when you have loaded rear panniers.
>
> And now I am scheming to rig up a dynolight. The Nashbar front rack
> prevents me, mercifully, from using the ancient Sankya bottle, so I am
> waiting to snag a good deal on a DN72.
>

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM, doug peterson <dougpn...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Patrick:
>>
>> Is this the second or third week with the new bike?  We all knew you
>> wouldn't leave things alone!  I agree the 11-32 8 speed is no good for
>> touring.  At least you decided to keep the triple!  I'm not qualified
>> to get into a theological discussion with you but I'd keep the 13.  A
>> bit of tailwind, a slight downgrade.  It can be handy, and will look
>> better than another spacer :).
>>
>> dougP
>>
>> On Mar 6, 10:25 am, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Today I'm taking the Sam Hill to the LBS to have the Deore rear 8/9/10
>> sp
>> > freehub body exchanged for a (scavenged; thanks Ryan) 7 sp one. And, if
>> > can find a way to do so, I'll toss the present 13 outer and have a
>> > 15-17-19-21-26-32 6 speed, with an extra spacer or two at the big end.
>> For
>> > why? One, to put the 19 right in line with the outer 46, for a 68"
>> > non-touring cruising gear (Jack Browns). I will keep the 36 since the
>> > remaining 67" -- 32" range will probably be nice on long uphills with a
>> > touring load. And there remains the 26 inner when I am tempted to
>> despair
>> > and give up. But for about town riding, the 46/19 X 28" wheel gives me
>> the
>> > ideal, the classic, nay the ultima ratio and ne plus ultra of
>> all-rounder
>> > gears and, if I am feeling effete, I can get a full 85" down to 40" on
>> the
>> > outer. Gad, the excess!
>> >
>> > The other reason is that my mind still boggles at three (3!!!) rings and
>> six
>> > (6!!!) cogs: what shall I do with this excess? I dislike, for
>> theological
>> > reasons, having unused cogs on my cassette, and anything north of 15 is
>> > pretty useless to me. If I keep the 13, it will simply be as an annoying
>> but
> [...]

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye,
scientist guy