A Riv can still be ridden quick, and of course can be built many different ways
to capitalize on efficiency; the owner doesn’t have to build the bike as a
cruiser.

I do understand your point though. I have to put some thought into this new
one, as I was hoping for a Rivendell to ride on my local mountain bike trails
which I frequent. I’m not sure if this will work for me though as our trails
have short but steep ups and downs and twist their way through the woods rather
than flow. Details of the final design and a peek at the geometry will help the
decision.