My prediction...rim brakes are not going to make a comeback...not in
mountain biking (or "hillbiking"). There just isn't any real good reason to
use a rim brake over a modern disc brake today given that there is a
definite performance advantage and a huge supply of products available at
all price points and most work very well. I mean, I'll buy a bike with
canti posts and ride it happily, but it is not my preference. It's not a
deal breaker but I don't see canti posts and think "so awesome!"

I have always thought mechanical disc brakes worked about the same as a
v-brake (hydros being a different conversation) with regards to
power, modulation and setup until I used a Paul Klamper. That brake is so
freaking easy to set up; it's powerful; it feels really good in use and I
just don't know why I haven't been using it on every bike I can. Anyway, I
don't want to turn this thread into a canti-vs-disc argument. I got my
preferences, for sure.

I'm sure someone will make a rim compatible with this bike and it's need
for a rim braking surface for a long time; I wouldn't worry about that.
Choices will be less, of course.