So is that what this is in aid of, really small size road bikes? Time was, 650C was the size of choice for really small road bikes even though only really narrow tires were available in that size. It might have made sense for manufacturers to go to 559 for such bikes -- it seems so quaint now to think that at one time 559 was so popular -- but there never were many high quality roadie-narrow tires in that size, and of course now some are floating the idea that 559 is obsolete.  Perhaps 584 roadie-narrow tires aren't so crazy after all if you must have narrow tires: the issue of small frames having trouble fitting a 700C wheel without strange geometry compromises hasn't gone away, and a 28-584 wheel is going to be substantially smaller in diameter than even a 23-722 (that, after all, is about the same size as a 42-584!) and 28mm > 23mm.