For the home mechanic doing a minor truing, the age-old technique of “plucking”
the spokes works pretty well. As the tension of a spoke increases, its sound
when plucked goes up in frequency. Plunk the spokes to find the ones that are
loose (lower tones) and avoid putting too much tension by getting the tone of
the adjusted spokes to more or less match the tones of the spokes around it.

--Eric Norris
campyonly...@me.com
@CampyOnlyguy (Twitter/Instagram)