It's pretty easy, as everyone says. But sure, you could mess it up. Then
you could fix it, and you'd have a more visceral understanding of the
process.
I'd start with on-the-bike truing, since you might find you hate the whole
process. I'd wait on buying a truing stand and tensiometer until you've
built a wheel and want build a second one, only faster. That's what I did,
and my "built on the bike" wheels are no worse than the ones built with the
proper tools.

1. Spoke nipples work like jar caps. Envisioning that the spoke is a jar
and the nipple is the cap is pretty much the only way I can keep it
straight which way to turn the wrench.
2. A tight-fitting wrench is pretty key, especially on an old wheel that
might have corroded spokes. I like the Spokey wrench, but the Park ones are
fine.
3. Keep the nipple faces square with the rim, and only turn 1/4 turn at a
time. That lets you put the wrench on by feel, and keeps you from getting
obsessed with micro-turns.
4. Over-turn a little on each adjustment, and then bring the nipple back
square with the rim. That minimizes the 'pinging' and re-truing after
stress relieving or riding.

Good luck!

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA