I trued wheels on the bike for 30 years.
If I wasn't on the road or if I was building from scratch, I took the tire
off and rubber banded a 10mm combination wrench to the brake pads for the
up and down.
A few years ago, I bought a Park truing stand, dish tool and tension meter
and did some more reading on the subject. I am never going back to on the
bike unless out on the road. I think the biggest improvement was using
better never-seize on the spokes - less spoke twist and more tension on the
spokes before the spoke nipples gave up. I am not a Rich or a Peter White,
but I can build a fairly true wheel.

Laing
Cocoa, FL