Personally, I’d go vintage and choose chainrings using a gear chart.  I don’t
undersand the concept of “stock” chainrings but it seems people buy whole new
cranks to change gearing.  Of course, I friction shift and maybe that’s the
difference but a big reason I prefer friction is because of the flexibility.
If aluminum weakens with age, I suspect this is one of those
theoretical/marketing arguments of no real consequence in real life on a
bicycle.  I might consider a Herse crank if you could get odd numbered teeth
for them but you can’t so I’m not interested.  For that kind of money, I can
spring for vintage rings with odd tooth counts for my vintage cranks to really
dial in the gearing I want.

Bill