A new coworker who's also new to bikes, was going to get one for his
commute.  I commute to work on bike sometimes and may have talked about
bikes/biking in happy hours.  Maybe because of that he came to me one day
to consult what bike to buy.  I gave my *opinion* about what would make a
good commute bike: wider tires, rim brakes, cromo frame/fork, upright
riding, ability to carry some stuff, etc.   I gave him an intro to
Rivendell as well.  Offered to lend my Joe A for a fews days if he wanted
to get a better idea what I was talking about.

Like most folks who are new to the world bikes would be, he wasn't sold the
need to spend  $1.6k (a Clem) on a bicycle for his short 2 mile commute.
 He ended up buying a bike that cost him 1/3rd of that.  It came with disc
brakes.

Quite sadly, he had a bizarre crash couple of weeks ago.  Needed a surgery
to fix his wrist, get stitches on his face and so forth.  He now has a
steel rod in his forearm.   Here's what happened apparently: he was
peddling back from an event in his neighborhood on a Saturday afternoon.
 He encountered a patch of potholes along the bike lane.  He's not sure
what exactly occurred next, but all of the sudden he went over the
handlebars and landed on his chin :(

I've been wondering how in the world a bike can simply flip at slow speeds.
 That too, on a flat road.  I'm beginning to think the combo of disc brake
and short wheelbase might have something to do.  In my limited experience
with discs, my impression is that they can be much sharper relative to rim
brakes.   They are perhaps less forgiving on someone not experienced in
biking.  Someone who does not have a feel for how much to sqeeze the front
brake vs the rear.  Once the front wheel is locked, an SWB is more likely
to flip over than, let's say, an Appa or Clem, I'm thinking.

In 2016, a cousine of mine had similar accident while riding with his
friends on a flat trail.  Both his wrists were shattered.  It took him
nearly 5 months to recover and return to work. (majority of the time he was
dependent on his wife to shower, wear cloths, etc etc.)

I’ve always appreciated LWB of my Appa and MIT Atlantis from comfort
standpoint.  Now on I’m also be thanking them for being safer by design.

In future if I hear about someone shopping for a bike, I'll be sure to
insert myself firmly into the process (even if it will annoy them) and try
harder make them get a Riv.  Sometimes it is a delicate task.  I have to
make sure I don't make them think bikes are unsafe except Rivendells.  *A*
bike is better than no bike.