Always hate to hear about bike crashes and injuries. No bike is free of
risks. It's a piece of equipment that must be operated with competence.
Many consequences of falling short of that are just a poor experience to
the rider like using too tall a gear on a hill. A majority of the negative
outcomes do have physical risk, not just falling down. The bike business
balances on that edge.

As a long time year round commuter in a four season city, I'm all about
advocating the same when others show interest. I veer away from specific
bike recommendations and guide inquirers to shops who I know and trust. A
bike is like a tennis racquet in a way. A good one is really obviously
better in many ways, but neither it nor a bad one will make up for not
having the basic skills developed to play the game. Lots of people buy pro
racquets that live in closets, same as bike that are buried in their
garages. It's just a much bigger waste of money.

A guy that lives across the street from the coffee shop where a long
standing group ride meets came to join one Tuesday evening. He's a tech guy
that bounces between several locations in his work and apparently
interested in cycling and joining in on the weekly ride. He's rides up on
one of the first Scott CFRP rigs the TdF riders used that year that I'd
seen in person. A $10k bike and the kit that at a glance you would take to
be of a veteran rider. He wasn't. Someone actually up-sold him all that
stuff and he really barely knew how to ride at all and the idea that we
were going to ride in the street, across bridges with traffic produced
unresolvable illogical fright to him. After the ride, which had been one of
the more ambitious routes for the longer days near the solstice, I never
saw that guy or his bike again. I don't ever want to be the person that
promoted an individual on an idea that they are not particularly capable of
in concept or physical aptitude.

Our friend who moved to the city on a shoestring (if even that), got rid of
her car, got a job in a field she dreamed about and is in school to prepare
her for a career in the field was the alternative to the group ride guy.
She is physically ambitious and physically poised from being a country
tomboy who pursued dance to the professional level with the Joffrey Ballet
in Europe before she got serious about a life's vocation. When I suggested
that she could use a bike for transport, shopping and fun (another sufferer
of the maladies from a neurotic running habit), she was into it. My advice
was primarily that it must fit and position you well for your realistic
use. We found that with a Public R-16 flatbar which accommodates her size
and provides a position that anticipated riding up hills, in traffic, with
loads and without.

If I'm going to direct someone to a particular format, model or brand of a
bike, I'm going to follow through to be sure they are happily getting a a
return on their investment in both the bike and cycling. I started guiding
our friend around where she lived and showed her how to use available bike
paths and routes to connect her with shopping, sightseeing and work. She
admitted that she'd never biked in the street with cars but by following my
wheel, doing what I did, signaling when I did, she grew quickly confident
in her skills and doesn't take any yard of her riding less than seriously.
She's now a smart, confident rider and gained the recognition as such by
those around her as such. With the shortening days she was interested in
how to ride in the dark and I took her on a ride around town after
commuting volume (and her pharmacology exam). As she experienced the
difference between day and night riding, learned how much more important
being seen and signaling intentions when in or near traffic, she really
enjoyed it and wanted to see more. We were out for almost four hours and a
food truck burrito. That's how I am comfortable being any more directing
with the interests of others becoming commuters or cyclists. BTW- she's
been trolling the internet and objectifying Rivendell bikes. She thinks
she'll buy one before a car when she finishes school and starts working.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh