No crash but maybe it is coming. A coworker asked my opinion on a touring bike
for his senior HS son, for an organized trip in the Alps summer 2019. I steered
him towards a number of late 80s through early 00s touring bikes. (There are
quite a few here in SLO/Santa Barbara late summer.) Any his spouse said needs
to be new, a used bike might break. Of course i said i could check out any bike
they find. Went to the weight weenie store and was sold a Raleigh Willard. Disc
brakes, carbon fork, 1x something. I said cool bike.  Tour group says bike
won't work because of 28 spoke wheels. And after reading above, the touchy
brakes would rattle me for sure. So, its difficult to offer a cost effective
option when there are lots of shiny objects to grab one's attention.
mike SLO CA