Agreed, don't be "that guy" pushing your bike opinions (particularly bikes
expensive) on other riders (particularly new riders). I can tell you mean
well and have his interests at heart, it's just not a good way to welcome
people to the sport.

Rivendells are great bikes but they are not the only great bikes and they
are not even close to the only safe bikes. There are plenty of $300-500
bikes that are just great as a commuter. It sounds like we don't really
know what happened to your coworker but *if* he went over the bars due to
suddenly braking that is not the bike's fault. This is a classic crash that
has happened to new (and sometimes not new) riders riding all kinds of
brake systems when they pull the front brake lever too hard too fast.

William