I'm most thankful for Rivendell showing me how unique a bicycle can be.  I
started following Grant & Co. because their philosophy of riding matched
mine but I was a guy who would go out and buy a Trek, Specialized, Giant,
etc... and ride it as-is until the tires needed replaced and I was likely
to try and get the same make/model of tire as replacement.

RBW was the first place I saw unique bikes that were not only customized,
but custom built from a bare frameset.  Looking thru the staff bikes
section (which is back up, BTW) is so satisfying and seeing other people's
bikes on the RBW and IBob groups is the same.  Now it's expanding into the
mainstream and my Facebook and Instagram feeds are chock full of custom
built Surlys, Jones, Crust, etc... bikes.  The bikes are as diverse and
unique as their riders.  I love it.